Froboarder (Snow)

Chronicles of an obsessive Snowboarder.

15 January 2006

The Season is Set! (well sort of)

Okay ... so I've learned to board (Oct-Dec), then got about 10 hours in on the MK indoor slope (Dec-Jan, luckily right before the conditions there started to deteriorate) and bought a used (but good condition) Burton Custom:




While that badboy is getting tuned up, all I have to do now is start planning my riding year. Here we go:

* Feb (second week)


Work may take me to Milan! Maybe. If this is the case, I will have to build in a day sliding down the Dolomites or southern Alps. I know my colleagues there are ski fiends and I will not have to ask twice to get a lift to the mtns. Of course the Olympics are due to be going on in Sestriere and in the Turin area in general. So I may need to take the Cervinia or option instead.

Excited, as this may be my first tree run! (indoor slopes have no trees).

* Feb (last week)


May need to hit Moscow for work. Will bring the hardware and seek out a small manmade hill resort called Sorochany (? - anybody heard of or been there before?). I learned about it on this thread in the Snowboard Club UK forum. Apparently, about 1.5 hrs driving from Moscow with 500m-1200m runs. If anyone reads Russian, please take a look at their site and fill me in.


* March (before mid month)

May finangle an excuse to visit the future inlaws in Poland (we're getting married in November)- could I possibly take a 300km detour to the Tatrys? Unlikely. But it would be nice.

* March (last week)


Just got approved: three days with clients in St Moritz. This was the original impetus for me learning to board back in Oct 05. By March, I hope to have racked up another 15 hours of real slope and indoor MK slope time and be just that much better on the board.

Need to look good for the company ;-).



*April - July (MK indoor slope baby!)



* Aug (yep, that's right: Aug as in "short for August!")


Stag do. Africa. Hoping to do it in the mountains of Lesotho at a resort (would you believe that!?) called Afriski. After checking out the website, I will check it out and see what the deal is. Should make for a fun and completely unusual Stag do. Snowboarding in Southern Africa! How memorable would that be?

Here is the temperature in the highlands in Lesotho in the southern hemisphere winter months:

And here are some mid-winter photos:


Now, I have noticed that the snow in the second picture looks like snow gunned corduroy groomed over a sort of savannah-type terrain. The other "winter wonderland" shots look like they may have been taken just after a blizzard. Might not be usual to be covered completely like that. Don't know. So I may have to investigate a bit more to get the scoop on this resort before sending out the invites. If we can't make it there for the stag, there is always Newcastle!

Anyway, what a potentially full schedule for this season. Will fill you in as to how it develops. If you have been to or know about any of the resorts above, let me know. It would be nice to get some background.

fro

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home